Digital Biomedical Assets
Digital Biomedical Assets come in many different forms, but generally fall under three categories:
Advances in Gene and Protein sequencing technology have led to an explosion of sequence data. These DBAs are the source of much of the fundamental research undertaken in Biomedicine today as they have become inexpensive to procure and curate.
Unlocking the information encoded in sequence data and understanding how this information is expressed in living biological systems holds the key to the development of future medicines, therapies and cures.
Clinical Data has always been and will remain the staple source of medical research. Notoriously difficult and costly to gather as well as being tightly regulated, it is unsurprising that this precious asset is underutilised.
At BiOMEX we hope to eliminate the barriers to the exchange of Clinical Data by leveraging technology from the financial sector which satisfies regulators and meets the demands of stringent compliance regimes..
Data on its own has little value without the means to analyse it. The vast quantities of data available today and in the future, present a unique opportunity to those that can create the algorithms, pipelines and workflows which enhance our understanding of biology.
Our role at BiOMEX is to create an infrastructure that will incentivise, identify and reward the creation of new analytic techniques and ensure they are made available to our participants.
Assets listed under Public Contracts will be available to all participants on the exchange. Publicly listed assets can select from a range of pricing options including Subscription, On-demand, Bid and of course Free use.
Private Contracts provide the same pricing flexibility as public contracts, however, access to the underlying assets can be strictly controlled to authorised participants only.
- We are in the business of and specialise in, protecting digital biomedical assets and thus we adhere to the highest standards of Information and Cyber Security.
- In order to guarantee the privacy and integrity of the assets deployed to the exchange, we adopt a zero trust model to all of our information technology and business processes.
- We maintain clearly demarcated boundaries between listed assets and Biomex infrastructure. All information and data are encrypted, at rest and in transit.
- BiOMEX interchanges are distributed applications that can be installed locally on your laptop and accessed by APIs in exactly the same way as connecting to the BiOMEX Cloud.
- You can integrate BiOMEX into your own workflows and existing platforms just like any other bioinformatics application or tool.
- Every aspect of Biomex is exposed via APIs so you can even monitor resource consumption, manage access and control your listed assets using your own command line tools or Web Applications.
- Our platform is designed with the High Availability and High Performance capabilities demanded by mission critical systems.
- A combination of distributed architecture and cloud infrastructure creates and incredibly resilient platform that maximises service availability.
- Real-time analytics provided over a broad range of asset transaction metrics provides unparalleled Market intelligence and analytical information on Bioinformatics research and development activity.
- Incentivises, identifies and rewards individuals and institutions whose listed DBAs have made a significant contribution to the life sciences.
- A unique feature of our platform is the ability to provide full attribution for DBA holders whether they are data curators, algorithm developers or independent research institutions and thus raise awareness of their work and provide a valuable source of funding.
Our Distributed Ledger Technology enables every BiOMEX interchange (node) to be configured to share services, data and computational resources with other interchanges via contracts that comply with the principle of least privilege, thus transactional privacy is assured.
Our distributed architecture also optimises the cost of computation in line with Edge computing best practice.
We use the most current technology available today to build BiOMEX. Our provisioning process is fully automated and can instantiate new interchanges on IaaS provided for private, public or hybrid clouds.
BiOMEX IT infrastructure is Cloud Native and utilises PaaS to orchestrate service containers. Our application architecture is service based and conforms to Twelve Factor App design principles and our technology stack is ‘evergreen’ and is automatically kept up to date with the latest security patches
The BiOMEX technology stack is composed of Community Software (Free and Open Source Software which is actively maintained by one or more commercial or non-profit entities that also offer professional services that appertain to the software) which encourages collaboration and cooperation.
Our use of Community Software reflects our commitment to innovation and our support for the Developer community at large.
Dr Robert Gifford
Our Vision and mission
We believe that creating a secure, reliable and efficient exchange for Digital Biomedical Assets will bring producers and consumers together in a way that will foster cooperation, drive research and accelerate innovation in Biomedicine. By 2020 BiOMEX will be the global platform of choice for the exchange of Digital Biomedical Assets. Our Mission is to
Provide the exchange infrastructure and the contractual products that will allow our participants to engage in secure transactions.
Identify and match producers and consumers of Digital Biomedical Assets in transactions that generate value for both parties.
Act as an advocate for our participants, raise awareness of their research and fully attribute them for their contribution.